Friday, May 17, 2013

The Office is Home

I've mentioned my love of TheHometown many times.  And in the interest of anonymity, it stayed TheHometown.  But the thing is, you know I live in Denver, and you know I lived in Philadelphia, and Colorado Springs, and Baltimore, and some of those places more than once.  So I might as well say that Previous ClosetoBase-ville was Fort Collins, CO.

I say all of this because last night as The Office wrapped up it's nine year run, it meant more to me than most.   The Office, as anyone who has ever watched it knows, is located in the best city ever.  Yep, TheHometown is Scranton, PA.


They nailed Scranton.  Nailed it. ("That's what she said.")  Every suburb reference was accurate; every restaurant, store, or business exists.  Every radio sticker or school pendant in the background is real.  Even the opening scenes were filmed by John Krasinki in Scranton.  The Wrap Party for the series was held in Scranton, where literally every cast member went including Steve Carell, John Krasinki and Jenna Fischer, even serving up drinks at a bar until 3am b/c thats how much fun they had.

To this day, I still wonder why they took such effort to get the details right.  Because honestly, no one would ever know, nor care that Poor Richard's Pub existed in real life (it does.)  The answer is because The Office is (sniffle) was one of the best comedies, well written with fantastic characters that we could all relate to.

But to me, I would clap and squeal with delight at all the Scranton references.  Friends/dates/coworkers/ and ultimately, TheHubs would say "Does that place exist at home?"  "YES!"

I remember when Mom told me while I was living in Colorado Springs that a new TV show would take place in Scranton.  I figured it would be a passing reference.  Who knew it would get such recognition?

While I lived all across the country (1,500 miles away currently), The Office took me home every Thursday night for nine years. For this homesick girl, I couldn't ask for more.

So when we stop moving all over this beautiful country for the sake of TheHubs' military career, I cannot wait to go home.  To put roots down, and hopefully be back where family and friends come first, Scranton (what?), the Electric City.



Have a great weekend!
-K

3 comments:

Kristen said...

That's awesome! Have you ever seen The Middle? It takes place in Indiana, but everything is so wrong. I love the show, but I don't even think they attempted to be factual about Indiana. The only things that are true is that Indianapolis is the capital, and they are home of the Colts and Pacers.

Anonymous said...

Wow I love the show that much more knowing that they made Scranton as authentic as possible. I totally know what you mean about seeing your hometown on tv. None of the shows shot in Portland or on Oahu are very accurate, but it still makes me so happy to see the familiar sights in the background.

Wine and Summer said...

The office is the best! And they really do have Scranton exactly right! I haven't spent much time there, but from what I know, it's dead on!