Thursday, May 23, 2013

Leading Ladies


Last weekend, two amazing ladies accomplished major goals.

First, my mom was honored by the University she works at and was awarded the Pro Deo et Universitate Award, given for 20 or more years of service to the University.  Twenty years!  


Mom is pretty much my hero, and I couldn't be prouder of her.  The whole reason she works at the University was so that my siblings and I could continue our education.  She did everything possible to be a full time employee a year before my brother graduated from high school.  She went from part-time floater, to full time floater, to her current job in the Registrar’s office, where she pretty much runs graduation.  My older brother completed his degree on full scholarship, and I had a huge scholarship to Loyola b/c of her.  Given my love of Loyola, I am unbelievably grateful to my parents.

Now she has reached her goal of receiving Pro Deo, so who knows what the next chapter will be.  I personally think she should wear her medal all the time, Mr. T style, but I doubt that will happen. ;)

Second, my sister in law graduated from law school!  On my blog, she is officially my sister-in-lawyer!  (SILawyer.)  

Oh man, another one where words cannot describe how impressed I am!  SILawyer has been working full time, while going to law school at night for FOUR YEARS.   To me, she is the model of fulfilling your dream through hard work and determination.  I honestly don't know how she did it.  She somehow managed to come to pretty much every family event and vacation, and actually be present.  I never heard her complain about the stress or the lack of free time.  She powered through and now she has achieved her goal. 

SILawyer has such a knack for words.  She writes the most sincere notes, cards, and emails.  She made my day by sending me a homemade poem at Christmas; she sent me the most encouraging email while we were adopting Maggie even though everyone else was against it; and even her thank you note for our graduation gift was heartfelt and genuine.  Now that she has her life back, I hope she continues to write, perhaps even in blog format (hint, hint.)

I never have the right words to say, so to Mom and SILawyer - Thank you for being such an inspiration to me.  Congratulations!

-K

PS - Also shout out to my brother, who has been SILawyer's support, cheerleader, and domestic diva for the past 4 years.  Spouses may not get the diplomas, but certainly deserve the credit!

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

You look just like your momma! How cute is she with her award! Congrats to your SIL too.

KK

Kristen said...

What a great family brag! And Kudos to the SIL. I really want to go to Law School some day (twas my dream pre-hubs) and I am in awe of someone doing it and working full time. And your mom...wow! What an accomplishment! No wonder you're so awesome. :)