Sunday, May 22, 2011

All in good time

Previously I mentioned how it had been a whirlwind few weeks.  A huge reason is because within 2 days, both TheHubs and I got new jobs!  YAY!!



The day we returned from Vegas, TheHubs checked his work email and there it was, the news we have been waiting for, for over a year and a half!  Without going into specifics, the key point is that he'll be working mostly days with only 2 overnights a month (gone for 36 hours at a time), compared to the 8 he does now.   We were hoping it would come in January and TheHubs was down in the dumps (to put it mildly) when it didn't happen.  I'll be honest, I had lots of questions for God, but as usual He knows what He's doing.  Turns out with my thesis, TheHubs working a ton wasn't such a bad thing.  I also think this "2.5 year challenge" in the beginning of our marriage ultimately made us stronger as husband and wife.

As for me, things had been shaky at work for a few months.  This was the first time in 9 years I genuinely was concerned that I'd be leaving TheLargeCompany (thanks recession!)  Just as news broke that more people would be leaving, my boss called to tell me our previous Director would be offering me a job!  It was my "best case scenario" turned into reality:
1) I'll be reporting to a higher director level position with more visibility. 
2) Said director is based only 2 hours from our house.  This means instead of traveling to Ohio and New York, I'll only be driving 2 hours to meet with customers and big wigs. 
3) New job is a lot more challenging and I'll be honest - I'm ready for it now that the pivotal piece of school is complete. 
4) There is a large possibility of TheHubs' next assignment being in 2 hour away-ville so I can easily transition back into an office, where who knows what opportunities await (um...management...that means you.) 

Overall, its pretty much everything I could ask for in a new position, so I'm beyond thrilled on how it all worked out.  And it's primarily due to my network I grew throughout my career.  So to those just starting out, my biggest piece of advice is build your networks and never burn bridges, no matter what field you're in, because you never know when you'll rely on them.

I think the moral of my story is that while we may think we know best, ultimately it will work out if you have faith.  The smarter than her years 20 something career gal posted this the other day, which basically nails it.


So tomorrow starts my new job.  I'm just as nervous as I am excited.  A whole new set of people to "wow".  Will I succeed or will I fail miserably?  But overall, I'm optimistic for the future.  I think this opens the door to a new chapter in our lives and I'm excited to see what it brings!
I'm off to 2 hour away-ville this week for a baptism by fire:  negotiating with the new customer in front of my new boss.  Lucky me!  Wish me luck! :)
-K

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So excited for you all! Good luck! I'm sure you will do great at the new job! And let's be honest, that quote is how I get through a LOT of my days...

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Congratulations to both you and the hubs!! So exciting! Knock 'em dead tomorrow. You'll soar- I just know it.

d.a.r. said...

OMG!! Congrats to you both! That is so freaking exciting!

Jackie said...

So happy for you two! That is great news :)