Tuesday, May 3, 2011

29 Years and 364 Days

zazzle.com
One of my best friends who turned 30 in January gave me the best insight:  "The last day of being 29 is worse than your 30th birthday."  Everyone I told this to over 30 completely agrees.  That day is today.

I am not handling the big 3-0 well.  Yes, I know logically that tomorrow morning NOTHING will be different.  I totally get it.  But to me, 30 is an adult.  I still picture myself as a high schooler though.  It doesn't add up in my head.

It's not as if I thought I'd be somewhere else in my life.  I have accomplished everything I'd ever wanted by now:
  • I'm married.
  • I'm 16 weeks away from an MBA.
  • I own a home.
  • As of last week, I paid off my car (Woo hoo!  Saving for the Volvo XC90 has begun!)
  • I really like my job, which leads me to...
  • Dare I say, I've found a career.
So what the heck?!  What is my problem?!  However, I've come to terms that I cannot stop the clock.  I've let out a collective sigh and resigned myself to my fate.

As such, I'm taking tomorrow off from work!  I have never, ever taken my birthday off.  In addition, I've never taken a vacation day for anything other than vacation or people visiting.  I'm excited to be off during the work week, and have a nice relaxing day.  I'm treating myself to a massage in the morning, and probably LOTS and LOTS of shopping.  After that, we'll see what happens.

On the positive side, my 20s were simply amazing!  If I continue at this pace, my 30s will be out of this world!
-K

3 comments:

Hilary @ Hilabeans said...

This reminds me of the Friends episode where they all turn 30. Please tell me you watch Friends? :) Anyways, you are still sooo young, I wouldn't even sweat it. You still have more than half your life ahead of you! :)

d.a.r. said...

Happy happy birthday!!!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Yes, your 30's are going to be out of this world!!! :)