Friday, March 11, 2011

Meatless Monday, Ash Wednesday, Thankful Friday

First, let me start off, by keeping all of those affected by the earthquake/tsunami in Japan and the rest of the affected areas in my heart and prayers.  Being an early riser, the full impact wasn't known, but now on my lunch break, I am overwhelmed by the devastation.  Sadly, yet another reason for me to keep that class I drone on about in perspective, and to be grateful for all the blessings I have.

Wednesday brought us the beginning of the season of Lent.  This year, TheHubs and I decided to give up alcohol together.  We've never done a joint sacrifice, but I think it's a wonderful idea.  Hopefully through this experience, we will grow spiritually and in our marriage.  Honestly, this will be the hardest Lenten sacrifice in my history.  Almost all of our interactions with TheHubs' colleagues involve some sort of alcohol.  I'm excited as it will make us take advantage of other activities that we wouldn't normally do in lieu of Happy Hour.  While it's not the best timing with the stress of Capstone, it IS the best thing for the stress.  I need to be on my A game for the next 8 weeks, up early and ready to rock this class!  So wish us luck.  It should definitely make for an interesting 40 days.

Meatless Monday was pierogies!  YAY!!  Could you believe I had to search high and low just to find Mrs. T's?  I finally found one variety stuck way back with the rest of the vegetarian options.  In Hometown, Mrs. T's practically makes up about half of a grocer's freezer section.  Anyway, we sauteed them, rather than boiling them, and served with sauteed onions and butter and a side of sour cream.  To complete the meal, I served a side salad and Irish soda bread (which is only available here at this time of year so we eat it in large quantities :))  OH MY HEAVENS!  Sooo delicious!  This dinner immediately took me back to my childhood.  TheHubs let me reminisce about Lent as a little girl and other awesome Polish dishes my grandmother would make.  (Of course, MC and my grandmother's pierogies were either homemade or homemade by little old ladies at a church.)  It was a fantastic meal, which only furthers my very strong position that eating meals at home together strengthens the bond as a family.  It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be eaten together as a family.  It's how I was raised; it's how TheHubs and I eat now; and it's how I will raise my children someday.

Have a wonderful weekend, wherever it may take you!
-K

2 comments:

Ashley Slater said...

Good luck with your lent sacrifice! I am trying to give up saying negative things and so far I have failed every day. I am also giving up any drink besides water (purchasing any other drink) and donating the money I would have spent on coffee/wine/etc on 40 Days of Water, a mission to furnish Uganda with safe, clean water.

We are also going to try and do meatless mondays, and even eat VEGAN twice a week. I know, what ARE we thinking?!?!

have a great rest of the weekend!

Anonymous said...

I've never had pierogies before - now I may have to add them to my "should try once" list. I completely agree with you about family meals: dinnertime growing up was always a priority. Sometimes we'd have to "eat" twice if my dad was working late, but we always tried to sit down together at least once a day.