Thursday, December 2, 2010

Observations from a Rental Car

Hi All -

I hope to be back to blogging soon, but I have been away for Thanksgiving and then this week I'm traveling for work in upstate NY.  I've mentioned many times before that I LOVE traveling for work for lots of reasons.  It's usually b/c I get to interact with all the people that I usually email, IM, or call on the phone.  This time is no different.

This work location reminds me soooo much of Hometown, which might be why I get along so well with my coworkers here.  Today I had to drive about 25 min to another site, and a colleague suggested taking the back roads.  Fantastic advice!  In the 25 min there and the 25 min back, I saw 5 things that made me smile.  When else does that happen during my normal work day?

1) A small stand on the side of the road selling firewood with a sign which read:  "Bundle of Wood; Put $5 in Box."  - I love it!  Why can't the rest of the world be this trusting?  What happened to us?

2) A car coming towards me with a black lab sticking out the sun roof!  It was adorable and again reminded me that some people are just happy.  Now I want to take Barkley for a drive in the car without strapping her in to the backseat.  This is a beautiful country; she should see it too!

3) An old barn.  The way the light shone was beautiful.  They just don't make 'em like they used to!

4) When I got to the site and did my thing, it came up that we live where we live b/c of TheHub's military career.  Turns out this guy's son just came back from a 15 month tour in Afghanistan.  Wow.  So we chatted and when I left, he saluted ME and said "Thank you for everything your husband does."  Wow.  I've never been thanked on his behalf.  That man made my day.  Again, I love the people here.  Genuinely nice.

5) Driving back, I saw a golden retriever sitting on the inside of the big glass door of a small restaurant.  Talk about a welcoming committee!  He made me want to stop in and grab a bite, but work was calling me.

I really wish I had brought a camera.  It was such a great drive!  I know I'm dating myself, but I felt like Ed in the opening credits to the show "Ed" - I think it was on about 5 years ago.  Driving around brings back great memories and the hopes that someday I can raised my children in a place like this.  A place like Hometown. 

-K

No comments: