Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's Just a Dog

Someone sent this to me and I absolutely love it!  Thought I'd share for all you fellow dog lovers!

"Just a Dog"


Permission by Ron Harris

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.


Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.


"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

I couldn't agree more.  Barkley gets me up early so I make the most of my day.  She makes me take her on long walks, where I do my best thinking, clearing my head of the hectic day I just had.  Without knowing it, she puts my life into perspective.  She makes me smile and laugh on days where I'm all alone with no human contact.  Its hard to imagine life in CO without her.  Her vet bills last month were worth every penny.  She's not just a dog, she's one of my best friends.
 
 
-K

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I took 10 minutes to add layers and bundle up to walk my "just a dog" in 20 degree weather tonight. And will do it again tomorrow morning- only it will be a single digit. I would do anything for her! My whole family is this way- which makes it so much easier to be a dog momma when everyone else is the same.

lmc said...

Love that :)