Monday, July 23, 2012

The Air Force Gods Smiled Down on Us

Sweet, wonderful Kristen posted last week about the military gods, and she is spot on.  I'm pretty sure she's my military wife soul mate, btw, as she shares every thought I have on this crazy life.  I wish St. Louis were closer, but alas, those military gods didn't plan it as such.

Anyway, back to the wonderful-ness.  Last Wednesday, the Air Force gods smiled down on us, and gave us our assignment for the next 3-4 years.  And when they smile, they do so with a huge grin on their faces.  Because my friends, we are moving to....

DENVER!! 

via google image

This was our numero uno, top of the heap choice, and the odds of getting it were slightly better than me meeting the entire cast of Downton Abbey and then being offered a role on the show.  Alas, TheHubs killer work performance spoke volumes, and even though politics were not in our favor, he still got his first choice.  (This is when we all stand up and shake his hand and say "Kudos, Captain TheHubs!")

TheHubs came home from work on Wed and handed me a folder with our fate inside.  He was not happy and TheHubs does NOT have a poker face.  My stomach sunk, and I wanted more than anything to avoid that folder.  But I opened it and the most beautiful words graced the page:  "Buckley AFB."  Of course I jumped on TheHubs and pretty much cried.  Maybe he's better at this poker face than I thought.

All of our prayers, answered.  All of the sacrifice for the pretty much the past 6 years; all of the tears; all of the disappointment; all of the ludicrous AF actions; redeemed.  In one sentence.  That's powerful.  I think of the week that lead up to it, with all of the stress and sadness of selling the house.  And the unknown.  Lord, the unknown!  If only we had known we'd be moving to Denver, well, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad.  But maybe that made the reveal all that more wonderful.

I often say that I do not understand the Air Force about 360 days, but there's about 5 days a year in which they show how beneficial this life can be.  And this my friends, is one of them.

We love Denver.  WE LOVE DENVER!  And still, a week later, I find myself saying "Can I be this lucky?"

We both lived in and loved Denver before we met.  We have amazing friends there.  We have wonderful memories there.  And yes, we met and fell in love there.  Besides my beloved East Coast, if I had to pick one place to live, regardless of careers, Denver would be it.  And now, we get to live there AND continue on the AF adventure.  I am truly blessed!

We'll be moving in the fall, and have already begun the process of finding a house/mortgage etc.  So much excitement, but so much hard work went into it.  This whole situation redeems my faith that things work out for the good guys.  And of course, I go back to my favorite saying "Having faith in God means having faith in His timing."

-K

I should note here Buckley is located in the same town as of those horrific shootings on Friday.  My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.  While I still struggle to understand why, I know the community will get through it.  Colorado has had it's share of tragedies this year, between the fires and the shootings.  I ask you to join me in praying that it subsides and we can begin to heal.

PS - I'll be back later this week to recap our fabulous trip to Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills this weekend.

5 comments:

katmcd said...

YES!! That is the greatest. That's how I felt about DC. I do not want to move again. Glad you got a great place.

Kristen said...

Thanks for the shout out, and may I say, I am freaking jealous! Buckley was number two on our wish list last time, and it will be number one when that time comes again. I can't wait to read all about your adventures there, and hopefully in a few years we will be neighbors :)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Congratulations on the big move!! I LOVE Denver. Actually, I specifically love Boulder. Even more specific, the best kitchen store ever, The Peppercorn. But that's not the point...congratulations!!!!

KK

Preppy Girl Meets World said...

Congratulations to you and Captain TheHubs! I think TLS was born there.

Amanda said...

Congrats! I love Denver! I wish Colorado was an option for us, but sadly the husbands job isn't there.