Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Thoughts on Moving - Probably Part 1

I was going to post about the baby shower I co-hosted for my friend Julie, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

For now, I want to put it out *there* that a wave of sadness hit me today.

Over the past 2 weeks since our house went under contract, we successfully navigated the not fun process of inspection and its negotiations, and the appraisal.  At this point, we're pretty much home free to closing on July 10th.

Which is awesome, yes.  But I'm sad.

I booked the moving company this AM, and I think that's when it hit me.  In less than a month, this won't be my home.

I've had such odd feelings towards this whole assignment from Day 1.  Back and forth from the beginning 4 years ago, I loved it and hated it.  So when our time was up, I thought I'd be ambivalent about moving on.  Silly me, I don't do well with change so why would this be any different.

After thinking about it, while I don't love this city (and we are probably the only people here who don't), I do love my friends and my home. Everything about this house screams us.  I love how we've decorated every room.  I feel so comfortable and at home here. 

Another big part of my anxiety is that we're not moving on to bigger and better...yet.  For example, my sister and brother in law, sold their home, and bought their dream home.  It's AWESOME!  And even she is feeling sad about leaving her first home.

For us, we have no clue where we're moving ultimately, but for the next 1-8 months (and any time in between) we're living in a furnished month to month patio home.  It's in the vicinity of our current home, but not the same neighborhood.  So while we're close, it's not close enough.  It's not home.  I don't like that we're still here but not in my favorite place here.  The limbo I tell you, it's killing me.

Everything will be fine.  This I know.  But for now, I'm sad.  As the month goes on, normal will be replaced by boxes.  And before I know, it, Puff - one for the books.

Luckily there's too much to do to be sad for long!
-K

No comments: