Friday, June 29, 2012

Fire Escape

We've been living on a movie set for the past few weeks.  Oh wait, you mean the raging wild fires destroying our beautiful state are real?

I previously mentioned we live about 5 miles from the 2nd largest fire in Colorado history.  Luckily, the fire fighters are beyond amazing and have it under control.  Phew!  I never want to go through that stress again.

Then this week, I was traveling a few hours away to TheOffice-ville and MaybeOurNewPermanentHomeintheFall-ville.  Except, I was told to evacuate my hotel room.  And quick.  Because they were closing the highway.  So I grabbed my stuff and bolted.  The view in my rear-view mirror of a city I lived in and will most likely move to again in flames will be forever imprinted in my memory.

This fire was a monster.  It displaced more than 32,000 people, including countless of my friends and co-workers.  Luckily, my closest friends' homes were safe.  However, one of my colleagues was not so lucky.  And the tally isn't complete. 

Here are some of my pictures depicting Tues - the day that forever changed that beautiful city.

10am - Arriving after my drive down.  Usually the mountains are clear as day, but in this case, completely covered in smoke.  The fire was still manageable.


 4pm -  The fire took on a life of its own; growing in all directions, especially in the feared easterly direction toward the city.  34 streets and 346 homes were destroyed.

5pm - The orange glow overtook the sky.  It was a sunny day but you would have thought it was 9pm out. 

7:30 - Evacuation call received from my boss to get out while I still could.  As I drove away, I couldn't help but reflect of the wonderful memories of calling it home.  And at the same time, I am fearful for the fall when we could live there again.  It won't be the same.

It was a day I won't soon forget.  That city is an amazing community and I have no doubt that they will not only survive, but thrive.  In the meantime, I ask that you keep them in your thoughts and prayers. 
-K

1 comment:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Wow! I thought about you this past week. I just can't believe your photos and how fast things went from normal to not.

Be safe!
KK