...equal one giant road trip to Chicago. As I mentioned in a few posts and to get you up to speed, my dearest CO friend's mom passed away on Christsmas Day (her dad passed away 5 years prior.) In addition, her husband deployed last Sat. No, this girl cannot catch a break. As such, she asked me to come with her back to her hometown in Chicago to begin the long process of settling her parents' estate. This is not something a 29 year old should be doing, and its heart breaking.
It's also teaching me a lot, and giving me a huge dose of perspective.
I'm also dare I say *enjoying* my mini break from my reality. I get up in the morning and log on to work (yet another "pro" to working from home, in this case, my friend's childhood home). I head downstairs and here's the crazy part, I have a cup of coffee while reading the newspaper. Then we take 4 dogs for a long walk. Next, we tackle a project each day such as deep cleaning the carpets, cleaning out the laundry room, Beth deals with the financial planner, etc. We cook dinner together, and then settle in for a few episodes of Downton Abbey. (Side note - I am now 100% addicted to that show. What rock have I been under? Best TV show in recent memory. Must beg, borrow, or steal to get my hands on Season 2.)
In some ways I feel I can write a novel. One sister married and trying to move on; the other single, still living in the home, grasping for some sense of normalcy, unable to get passed the awful events. Me? I'm the outsider taking it all in. And thus realizing that material possessions are just that. You cannot take it with you. And in fact, when we think we're doing our children favors by leaving them countless bank accounts, it really ends up a giant financial mess.
More importantly, time and again I'm reminded that we have one fleeting life and to love everyone in it. There isn't a finite quantity on love. I learned this with the birth of my nephew and Barkley's arrival. I didn't think it possible my heart could grow more, but it does, and it's wonderful.
Tomorrow is her mom's burial. I wasn't able to be here for her funeral in the winter, so I am glad to have this opportunity. I hope it provides another chapter of closure for all involved.
On Saturday, I fly back to CO by myself. When I pull up to our house, there will be a For Sale sign in the yard. I'm going back to a house, not my home. So much is changing which makes my heart race. We might not have a house to live in soon and we don't know where we're moving to. I don't like it. But I have TheHubs, my family, my friends, and my Barkley. I do love them. Everything will be alright.
-K
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment