Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tuesday Night, Movie Night

When TheHubs and I started dating, we found ourselves watching a movie every Tues night.  We didn't plan it that way; it just happened.  And after a while, we dubbed it "Tuesday Night, Movie Night."  (Trademark pending - I wish!) 

So in keeping with our tradition started 6 years ago (What?!), last Tues night before I traveled the rest of the week for work we rented Moneyball.

  imdb.com

I really liked it, but am not quite sure it's Oscar Best Picture Nomination worthy.  (Although, side note, I think it was really slim pickings when it came to amazing movies in 2011.)  Regardless, I loved the story and really applaud real-life Billy Beane for trying to create a successful baseball team on potential, not signing bonuses.  In fact, I think I'll be cheering for the A's this year.  Since they are in the American League, they won't interfere at all with my Phillies until playoffs.  At which point, if both teams are in, all bets are off.  Phillies pull rank any day of the year.

For last night's TNMN, we finally saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

 imdb.com

We both liked it well enough, but thought the first was better.  This goes back to our love of mysteries that are solved the old fashioned way - using your brain.  The first one highlighted Holmes' thought process more, whereas the 2nd definitely had more action.  And any movie with present day Robert Downey Jr. is OK in my book....wink wink.  I heard rumors that they are making a third, of which, we'll definitely go to see as well.

Still on my list to see:
The Artist
The Descendants
Hugo

While they are movies now, I would like to read:
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - This is my book club's Feb pick, so I'll let you know it goes.

What movies have you all been watching?
-K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Sherlock miniseries on PBS? I haven't seen any of the nominees yet but I want to see Hugo (the book was amazing).