I have been working from home for over 3 years now, and I won't kid you - it took a solid 2 years to get used to it. I'm a "people person." I crave human interaction. But now that my time at home is hopefully dwindling down, I've grown accustomed to it and am a bit worrisome of leaving the comforts of home.
I work for a very large company in Corporate America and essentially work on the billable hours philosophy. While this might not work for everyone, here are some tips to make working at home, "work" for you and your family:
1) Be available. Telecommuters are not the norm and can often get a bad rap. Unfortunately, as a telecommuter, it's up to you to break this stereotype. I am 100% available when needed and incredibly responsive. Don't give those nay-Sayers any ammunition. Even if it's to acknowledge receipt and tell them I will work it later in the day, I immediately respond to emails.
2) Have a set schedule. Similar to #1, it helps when your long distance coworkers know when they can expect you. So set working hours and stick to them. I work from 7am to 4:30-5pm depending on my day. Of course if I have a later meeting, I can stay later, but I like being the first one in.
3) Wear pants that zip. A friend who was unemployed gave me this tip. It's probably the best advice I can offer. Don't let the munchies a few feet away distract you. If you stay in comfy pants all day, you'll never notice when the pounds start adding up. Additionally, I'm a firm believer in your dress affecting your attitude. On the flip side, I did institute "dress-down Fridays" where I wear comfy pants. However, Mon-Thurs I wear jeans, khakis, cords, or capris.
4) Have a defined work space. Even if it's just a corner of a room, make that a place for work only. We are lucky enough to have a spare bedroom for my office. It is strictly for work - no Christmas decorations or storage in the closet or doubling as a guest bedroom. When you close the door, walk away. Otherwise, you are reminded of it constantly and it really seeps into your personal life. (Full disclosure: I often sneak in at night when TheHubs isn't paying attention to check my Blackberry. I attribute this to the fact that I like to be on top of things and know what to expect in the morning. It's not a good habit; one I need to stop!)
5) Take Breaks. You're entitled to breaks just like everyone else. In the morning, I take a small break to make myself some tea. In the afternoons, I take Barkley out.
6) Get out of the house. You'll go stir crazy if you don't. Now that the sun sets earlier, I use my lunch break and take Barkley for a walk around 2pm. It does wonders for my stress level; and the fresh air perks me up for the afternoon.
7) Minimize distractions. I know people love having their TVs on while they work, but I find that it competes for attention, and honestly, your employer deserves your full attention. This also holds true for household chores. Your work day is not the time to clean the house or whip up a batch of cookies. The only thing I have in my office is my Sirius boom box because seriously, Coldplay makes the day better.
8) Travel as much as you can. Face time counts. Unfortunately, working from home will automatically put you at a disadvantage to your in-office colleagues. I try to travel to the office at least one week a month. Yes, this stinks being away from TheHubs and Barkley and I always dread going, but once I'm there, I enjoy my time. Making human connections does wonders for your professional reputation.
9) Pick up the phone. It's easy to shoot off a quick email, but similar to #8, building human relationships is a key to telecommuting. While your work business may take a few seconds, ask them how their weekend was, vacation plans, etc. When you have the time, always pick up the phone, and then follow up with an email if necessary.
10) Enjoy the flexibility. This took me a LONG time to adjust to. I was so worried about being perceived as a slacker that I was afraid to leave for even a doctor's appt. Once you establish yourself as a reliable telecommuter, add some flexibility into your day. Last week a friend asked me to meet her for coffee at 2:30. If I was in an office, I would never go! But now I can do those kinds of things once in awhile. And as long as you check in upon your return, no one will mind.
This is my typical work day schedule:
6am - Rise and shine! Get myself and Barkley ready for the day.
7am - Log on to work.
10-10:15am - tea break!
12-12:15 - lunch time! (I usually eat leftovers. Again, this is not the time to make yourself a gourmet lunch. If so, make sure not to charge your employer for time.)
2:30-3pm(ish) - Walk Barkley
4:30-5pm - Close up shop!
This may not work all the time. One of my clients likes to talk at 5:30pm so if I hear the phone ring, I do answer for her.
Anyway, I hope this helps or provides guidance for any of you who work from home or are looking into adding flexibility to your schedule.
Have a great weekend!
-K
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I love these tips and wish I could pass them along to people who don't understand/have patience for working from home. I've seen people (on both sides) who handle it beautifully and others who just don't, so I think there are a lot of mixed feelings out there about this.
Post a Comment