Friday, February 25, 2011

Meatless Mondays: Recipe

This week's MM recipe is Bread and  Shrimp Skewers with Romaine Salad, taken from the Feb Everyday Food magazine.

3/4 lb large peeled and deveined frozen shrimp
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbl grated lemon zest
2 tbl lemon juice
3 cups crusty bread cut into 1 inch pieces
1 hard cooked egg yolk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup parm. cheese
2 large hearts of romaine

Preheat oven to 450.  In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, half the garlic, zest, and 1 tbl oil.  Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.

In another bowl toss break with 1 tbl oil and season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.  Transfer shrimp and bread to baking sheet and bake about 7 min, until shrimp is opaque.

Salad:
Combine remaining garlic, lemon juice, 2 tbl oil, egg yolk and mustard, whisk until well combined.  Stir in parm cheese and salt and pepper. 

Add romaine and toss to coat.  Sprinkle with parm and serve.

The original recipe says to put the shrimp and bread on skewers but I usually find that to pointless unless you're grilling.  Also, we made the mistake of NOT halving the dressing recipe for only the 2 of us.  It was a bit much but still really tasty, kind of like a modified Cesar salad.

I also had delicious bean burgers from my favorite Anonymous NJ Prep and mahi tacos while we were out.  Another delicious week of cutting back on the meat!

In other news, I'm hoping to get back to normal non-food posting.  Nothing exciting is going on in our lives, and I think I lost some of my blogging mo-jo.  This weekend I'm taking my Marketing final exam and plan to spend the remainder of the weekend on the couch with a good book, without a school worry in the world!

Have a great week!
-K

No comments: