Friday, February 18, 2011

Meatless Modays: Recipe

We actually picked 2 Meatless Monday recipes this week:

1) Spinach Manicotti in Creamy Tomato Sauce from Martha Stewart Everyday Food (Feb 2011) Magazine.

I thought it was delicious and super easy to make.  I just saw on the web version a hint to use shrimp that isn't in the magazine.  I definitely think we'll try this next time.  My only tweak was to substitute milk for heavy cream.  This is only b/c we don't keep heavy cream on hand so it's not worth buying a carton for 2 tablespoons.  Plus it's healthier.  I didn't notice a difference.

2) Creamy Broccoli Soup from the Feb 2011 issue of Real Simple.

Oh my - soooooooo good!  While it ends up creamy from the blending, it is oh so healthy!  It's basically veg broth (we used low sodium), broccoli, onion, and potato.  We used no where near 7 cups of broccoli though.  An average sized head of broccoli worked just fine.  As such, we only added 1 cup (vs 2) of water.   I think this would be a perfect meal for families young kids.  It reminded me of the consistency of food that TheNephew eats.  One meal for the whole family - wonderful! :)

Hope you have an enjoyable weekend!
-K

No comments: