Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holiday Tag

Prepadelphia (such a clever name and blog) tagged me to list 6 holiday-related facts about myself, so without further adieu....

1)Christmas Eve has always pulled rank over the actual Christmas day. My brother and I still try to recreate our huge Christmas Eve dinners at Grammy and Grandpa's consisting of: Vegetable soup, white fish, homemade pierogies, and peas and carrots.

2) While my extended family has started doing their own thing, we still get together for a huge family reunion and share in oplotki. For those that don't know, "Polish, Slovak and Lithuanian background families observe this Christmas Tradition. Family members and friends break off a piece of oplatek and give it to one another to eat, expressing the best wishes and blessing upon them and asking for forgiveness. This is a tender, touching family celebration of love and forgiveness."

3) I prefer fake Christmas trees, done in good taste of course. I was pleasantly surprised when TheFiance begged to get a fake tree. With TheFiance's family in Missouri, and mine in Pennsylvania, I guarantee we will never be home for the holidays. So why go through the hassle, the worry, and the mess without truly enjoying it?

4) Forget outside lights - nothing makes me smile like spotlighted wreathes and candles in the windows.

5) My hometown's holiday lights display. I already was able to experience it this weekend while home for my bridal shower. Nothing gets me in the holiday spirit like driving through the park in awe of all those displays.

6) My favorite Christmas song is Band Aid - "Do they know it's Christmas." I'm sure there's more classic ones that I love, but for some reason, this one really tickles my fancy.

Prepadelphia listed all my tags, so instead of tagging specific people, leave me a comment of YOUR holiday-related facts about yourself.

-K

2 comments:

KAK said...

Hi! I can't believe you had the same jacket! It was my favorite and I have spent hours looking for it again! your blog is wonderful, I think we have alot in common too! I'm also an East Coaster living in CO and adjusting. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. What part of CO do you live in?

Patti/Nonna said...

Christmas Eve has always been my favorite - coming from an Italian family - We do the Seven Fishes or at least, I try to.
I agree about the outside lights - We have nothing but candles and wreaths on our windows with spotlights on the house. As for my favorite Christmas Song - "I Want a Hippopotamus for Chistmas" - I finally got one last year. :)
We have a real tree and will have one as long as we're able to carry it in the house. I usually have no trouble getting into the spirit of the season - especially if there's family close by. Christmas is LOVE!