Saturday, February 22, 2014

Hospital Mondays??

Sigh...

For the 2nd Monday in a row, I was back in the hospital.  This time a lot more serious but at least I was home in Denver and with TheHubs.

I woke up 100% fine.  An hour later, all of a sudden I had such intense constant back pain to where I couldn't sit or stand.  I waited about 90 minutes and it didn't pass, but got worse, and then turned into cramping in my stomach every 3 minutes.  This was not good, so I called my doctor, expecting her to tell me to come into the office right away.  Well...turns out she told me to go to Labor and Delivery right away.  Ohhh crap.  I woke up TheHubs who had just finished night shift sobbing.  Somehow got changed and pulled important documents.  Was this it?!  I'm only 27 weeks at this point.  It. Can. Not. Be.

We get to the hospital and all set up in a room, hooked up to a million monitors and belts:  one to monitor contractions, another to monitor baby's heart beat, another for mine.  About an hour in, the pain worsened.  I literally thought there was no way this baby wasn't coming out or worse.  I was in pre-term labor.  It was the scariest moment of my life.  Nurse Brenda (aka Saint Brenda)  flew into action giving me some medicine to stop the contractions, but made my heart beat out of control and my body shake uncontrollably.  Once they got the contractions under control I was given Morphine, which is wonderful in all ways.  Baby and I were finally stable.

Throughout the day I did a few ultrasounds and blood tests.  Thank God, baby was somehow OK and I wasn't dilated, so he was safe for now.  They did all sorts of tests and couldn't find the cause of my still persistent back pain.  Since baby was now OK, I was discharged around 8pm, with  no known cause or solution for the pain.

I can't put into words what we've been through, and its not pretty.  The doctors said I have  an “irritable uterus”.  Medically that means I’m having very weak contractions every few minutes, and they still can’t figure out why.  They don’t know if it’s causing the back pain or vice versa.  Meanwhile, my amazing sister, Dr. Physical Therapist,  has been absolutely wonderful trying to work with me to manage the pain via exercise instead of medicine.  Last night wasn't terrible, which I'm praying is a huge step in the right direction.  I have an OB appt on Monday but not sure that will shed any more light.

The best medicine at this point is prayer.  Please keep Baby Boy in your thoughts and prayers.  Today I am at 28 weeks and every day I count as a massive victory.  Sadly, my goal is to not be in the hospital this coming Monday.  When did it get to this?  I just want to get to May.  

-K

4 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Katie!! OMG!! I am soo grateful you and baby boy are OK and at home. I will absolutely send up big prayers for y'all. Hang in there and relax as much as possible (I'm sure easier said than done).

KK

Kristen said...

Many, many prayers your way, girl! So happy you and the little nugget are doing ok. Hang in there, woman. I know they can't wait to meet you, but they need to hold out juts a little longer!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your baby! Sending lots of prayers.

Ashley said...

Oh boy! You're getting closer to May every day... prayers for you and baby.