Friday, April 5, 2013

Expanding Our Family

Nope, I'm not pregnant!

Instead, we're 90% sure we're adopting another Golden Doodle!  (The other 10% to be decided in a trial run next weekend.)

google.com

It's a crazy story as we never intended to get a 2nd dog.  Barkley is the canine love of my life and was "the only one" for us.  Until...

Last Friday, during our daily walk, a woman approached us to ask if we would like another golden doodle.  I thought she was joking so I responded, "Oh no, one is enough!"

As it turns out, the woman's best friend just passed away from breast cancer.  Her request for her pride and joy, a three year golden doodle named Cleo, was that she be placed with a family with another doodle.  Her logic was they understand how amazing doodles are (we do!) and would give Cleo the love and care that she provided her with.  Heart strings, tugged.

We took her name and number and if we heard of anyone looking, we would pass the information along.

The weekend passed and all I could think of was Cleo and the situation at hand.  My heart ached for the departed woman who got Cleo assuming she'd love her forever, and for Cleo who lost her mom and her best friend.  But life can be cruel.  Apparently, TheHubs pondered it too.

On Wednesday, we decided we had no choice - we had to give back and do something good in this world.  When I called our neighbor to let her know we are interested, she exclaimed "It's a sign we met when we did. I knew it was meant to be when I saw you coming down the street."

Starting on Thurs, we are taking Cleo for a trial to make sure 1) as the primary caregiver, I can handle two dogs; and 2) my girlfriend Barkley gets along.  If either of those things don't work out, Cleo will go back to the friend and we will have tried.  If they do work out, Cleo will be a part of this family.

This is not at all what I envisioned, but let's be honest, when is it ever?  Essentially, if Barkley were ever in Cleo's position (so blessed to have family and friends who would love her), I would want a family like us to take her.  I  love Miss B more than life itself and I know Cleo's mom felt the same.

I am excited and nervous - are we crazy?  Double the food, vets bills, and kenneling, but also double the company, snuggles, and love.  Oh well, we'll just have to chalk it up to our crazy adventure!

Any advice or suggestions on how to deal with multiple dogs is greatly appreciated!

Have a great weekend!
-K

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw that sounds awesome! You can do it :)

Amanda said...

Wow so awesome of you guys! My eyes got a little watery while reading this. :)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

How awesome!! SOmething nearly identical happened to my cousin years ago. And that's how Daisy, a yellow lab, came to be part of our big dog-worshiping family for the last 5 or so years of her life. Crossing my fingers it all works out!

KK

Kristen said...

You are totally not crazy! We foster pups through the rescue we got our second dog from, and our current foster, Scooby, would be the perfect fit in our little family. Unfortunately, the hubster won't let me have more dogs than people in the house. *sigh*

MCW said...

I want to adopt a GD! How did you find him or her???

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

OK I found a post on Daisy. Actually it's a sad post- so fair warning.

But my cousin and her family adopted her when a friend passed away from cancer just a few years after adopting her. I believe it was a rather short time fram from diagnosis until the end. Very sad. Her boyfriend decided he couldn't care for her and her children didn't want her. They had their own lives, etc. So my cousin being the softy said yes. It was supposed to be temporary but of course it was perm about 20 mins into the whole process- ha. She was just the sweetest and funniest dog!

http://preppypinkcrocodile.blogspot.com/2008/11/daisy-mae.html

And of course Cleo and Sadie can share a birthday! How fun that things are working out on that front.

KK

Beth Dunn said...

You are the best for doing this! Truly.
xoxo
SC