Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Steamboat Springs, CO

TheHubs and I spent the long weekend celebrating one of my closest friend John's 30th birthday in Steamboat Springs, which is about 3 hours from our house.  We had a fantastic weekend, spending time with old friends and meeting some new ones.  The house we rented was AMAZING!  Top of the line everything, with a view of the slopes.  I have never stayed in such a nice place! 

Sunday was definitely my favorite day.  After a long day (and a great workout!) of snowshoeing, TheHubs and I collected some peeps and headed to the outside hot tub with a glass of wine.  There is something to be said for watching the sun set behind the beautiful snow covered mountains, having some great conversations.  One of our friends even said "Remember this, folks."  It's time like those that I am so grateful to live in such a beautiful place. 

These are only a few of the pictures I took during snowshoeing.  Unfortunately, the mountains haven't had much snow this year, but it's still only January.



On the way home, we passed through part of the Continental Divide, which if you remember from 5th grade geography, is the natural boundary line separating waters that flow into the Atlantic Ocean from those that flow into the Pacific Ocean.  So cool!


Heading away from the mountains and closer to the front range, the snow disappears but beautiful rock formations like this remain.


We passed literally through the mountains.  I loved driving through this tunnel.  Sorry about the glare - its actually shot through our windshield.


And finally, a group picture, sans some people who left on Sunday.  Happy Birthday, John!


-K

1 comment:

Christine Dunne said...

Love this post - glad you had a great time with your friends. It looks so beautiful there, and I love the idea of sitting in a hot tub with a glass of wine;-).