Thursday, January 12, 2012

Insight into My life as a Military Wife

I don't talk much about military life at TheHubs request, but I saw this quiz at the ever so sweet Adventures in Italia and thought it answered a lot of questions.  ALW and I have many of the same thoughts on life as an AF wife, which makes me oh so happy to find someone who can relate to this crazy life!

1. How did you and your spouse meet?
We met a birthday dinner for mutual friends when I was living in Denver.  At the times, TheHubs was a full time computer engineerish type, part time in the Reserves.

2. How old were you when you two met?
I was 25 and TheHubs was 31.

3. How long have you been together?
Closing in on 6 years.

4. Where are you and your spouse originally from?
I'm originally from Pennsylvania and TheHubs is from Missouri.

5. How did you feel about him joining the military?
Between active duty and Reserves, TheHubs was already in the military for 8 years.  However, when he told me he wanted to become a Full-time Active Duty Officer, my jaw hit the floor.  Reserves is one thing; Active Duty is a whole new ball game.  I had lived in a very military town after I graduated from college, and swore off military men.  I grew up in a civilian household so I couldn't believe this was where my life was going.  I'll be honest, I wasn't pleased, but TheHubs knew that he loved what the Air Force stood for and that he could do something great for this country.  How could I deny that?  Incidentally, as my life is evolving, I too am now questioning my career path, so its fantastic to have his support as he knows exactly what that feeling is like.

6. Where did your spouse go to basic training?
Not sure about basic, but Officer Training School was in Montgomery, AL.

7. Has your spouse ever been deployed?
No, and for this I am 100% grateful and I know we are incredibly lucky.  However, TheHubs does 36 hour shifts.  He has calculated that he has been away for over 6 months of our marriage.  Pros and cons to each, but I do realize he is not deployed to a war zone, which is wonderful.

8. Ever been to his promotion ceremony?
Yes, I attended his commissioning and just next week I'll be proud and present for his promotion to Captain.

9. How long have you been a military wife?
Our 3rd anniversary is in April.

10. Did you marry him before or after he joined?
I suppose a little of both.  As I said, he was previously in the military but we dated before he became an officer, and married shortly after.

11. How did your husband propose?
On my sister and brother in law's front porch in Hometown just after midnight on New Year's Eve while he was home on Christmas break from Officer Training School.  I assumed he would do it in the city we both love, Philadelphia, but he wanted to do it in my hometown so it would be even more special for me....love that!

12. Where did you get married?
In my hometown, in the church I grew up in.

13. How old were you when you got married?
I turned 28 the next week, TheHubs was 33.

14. Did he wear his uniform on your wedding day?
This is a big fat NO!  We absolutely did not want our wedding to be a reflection of his AF career.  We are firm believers that the military is his career, not our lifestyle.  If he wore his uniform, following the same logic, I should have worn my Contract Negotiator "uniform."  No thanks.  White gown and tux for us!

15. Where are you and your spouse currently stationed?
"Somewhere only we know" - Keane

16. Do you live on base?
No way Jose.  We live 45 min away in a place I fondly call "Civilization."  We do not plan on ever living on base though.  Not the way we roll :)

17. How long were you married when you had to go through your first separation?
N/A - thankfully!

18. What is your favorite base so far?
I suppose this one for lack of experience elsewhere, but I have heard great things about the base we're hoping for next!

19. Do you think your spouse looks good in his uniform?
I think he looks A-Mah-zing in his flight suit.  His dress blues are fine, although in my humble opinion, the other branches have much sharper dress uniforms.

20. Do you think military life is more advanced then civilian life?
Totally agree with ALW - "Advanced?  Not really.  I think a better word would be different, or challenging."  I do think military life is kind of a part time job.

21. Do you like the benefits you receive as a military spouse?
In terms of everyday benefits, since I have my own health insurance through work and we don't live on base, I don't use many of them.  However, in the long term, having a full pension and medical benefits when we're older is worth its weight in gold.  Also, I used part of TheHubs' GI Bill for my MBA.  So I am very grateful of the benefits provided!

22. Do you have a lot of military wife friends?
My closest friend here is also an AF wife.  We met a great group of friends who are stationed at TheHubs' base and live 45 min away as well.  We find that the people who live here share our same philosophy on military life, so we are very lucky.  Other than that, I don't know many of the wives well that live on base.

23. What is the hardest part of the military life?
A few things.  First, being so far away from my family and friends on the beloved East Coast.  We can't move where we want to, rather where we're told.  I kinda feel like I'm waiting for my real life to begin, but if I use that mentality, life will pass me by.  I am trying very hard to appreciate all of the craziness, because it only makes me a stronger person.  Second, let's be honest, TheHubs is first married to the AF, then to me.  This took a lot of getting used to, especially since I like to be in control and organized.  Whatever the AF says, goes.  If that means cancelling vacations and not being able to make plans more than a week in advance, so be it.  

24. Do you own military wife stuff?
Nope!  I don't have anything Air Force related in general.

25. Do you support your spouse as a member of the military?
100%!  I am soooo proud of him, even though I don't tell him enough.  Words cannot express how grateful to every single serviceman/woman and their families.  They sacrifice so much so we can have so many of the luxuries we take for granted.  Even though I'm quick to complain, the military is something special and unique that isn't understood until you are a part of it.  I have met some incredible friends in my short time, and I know this is just the beginning!

1 comment:

Preppy Girl Meets World said...

I'm with you on #24. I *refuse* to own anything that says "Air Force Wife" or anything like that. HOWEVER- I saw a photo of a mug at an establishment that rhymes with FAAFES that said "Air Force Wife, Toughest Wife in the marines" (the caption on the photo said "what an egregious mistake, everyone knows you're supposed to capitalize Marines". I told TLS that if he were ever to see THAT one, to go ahead and buy it for me!

I'm almost 100% positive that he did basic at Lackland. It's the only one for the Air Force. At least for active duty. Not sure if it's any different for reservists.

TLS wore Mess Dress at our wedding. I personally LOVE uniforms at weddings and he was happy to get that vs. a tux since he could easily wear that again. (And he already has- twice.) I on the other hand spent more on my veil than he did on his whole mess dress, and that's certainly not getting worn again any time soon.