Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Recipe to Share - Baked Mac N Cheese

I'm skeptical of homemade mac n cheese, but this recipe (from Oct 2010 Everyday Food, where else?) rocks!  It's only in the print edition, so here goes:


Emeril's Three Cheese and Bacon Macaroni & Cheese

coarse salt
1/2 lb elbow macaroni
3 slices of bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
3 large eggs
12 oz can of evaporated milk
6 oz or 1 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
2 oz or 1/2 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
1 oz or 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

-Preheat oven to 475 degrees & start a large pot of water boiling, salted very well.
-Cook macaroni for 6 minutes so it is underdone and drain, then set aside.
-Heat a small skillet and cook bacon until it is very crispy. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
-Pour bacon mixture and macaroni into a drained macaroni and stir well.
-In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, evaporated milk, and seasonings. Stir in cheeses.
-Add macaroni mixture and stir very well to combine.
-Transfer to an 8 or 9 inch square pan or a 2 quart, spread evenly with a spoon.
-Bake about 12 minutes until sauce is bubbling and browned in some areas. rest it 10 minutes before serving.

K’s Notes: It was soo good – definitely the best at home mac n cheese I’ve ever had.

TheHubs and I recently came across pre-cooked bacon. It’s awesome! Our “wonderful” kitchen has no vent, and so everything we cook seems to linger for days. Pre-cooked bacon is just one less step. Its awesome on sandwiches and saves a ton of time in recipes. The best part: On sale, it’s the same price as uncooked bacon. It’s freezable too! So anyway, we substituted that and it tasted just as good. 

Enjoy!
-K

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness I must try this! I love all things mac and cheese. Thank you for sharing!!

The Pink Chick said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing! I wanted to bring mac n cheese to our company Thanksgiving! I am definitely going to use this recipe!