I suppose it was only a matter of time before I dropped the ball on something. This year, with new boss in charge, TheHubs squadron is having a super fancy Christmas party - The Hubs in his AF tux, and moi, in that beautiful burgundy dress I wore as my sister's maid of honor. It was going to rock! I'd finally get to go to a fancy military ball which has been lacking at this assignment, AND I'd get a double use out of that bridesmaid dress!
Well, that was all before I majorly messed up and mixed the dates up. When my boss asked me to spend the week in NY after Thanksgiving, wrapping up some major negotiations, of course I had to agree. I switched my Thanksgiving plane ticket to fly home the next Sat. Turns out TheHubs party is that Fri night. Whoops! I tried to change my plane ticket for a 2nd time, but it would be an additional $300, plus I would have 2 layovers, one of which is in Chicago. If there was one delay (Chicago, Denver, December, you do the math) I wouldn't make it to the ball. The military gods are not on my side.
Sigh...I feel incredibly guilty. Why didn't I remember the date switch? Oh yeah, b/c I have major negotiations, a case study, and a final. Sadly, anything else until Dec 11th is a peripheral. But when did TheHubs become a peripheral? Of course he doesn't mind at all. He'll have fun with his friends, and enjoy the night as a bachelor. But still...the wifely guilt has set in. Since I'm not the typical military wife, I have to attend as many night functions as humanly possible.
I say I need to set boundaries with work and school, but you know what? They always pull rank. I hope 2011 will be better. Deployed coworker will be back in April, and I'll be done with school in August. It's hard to juggle work, school, family, friends, and TheHubs. And I'm super lucky that for the most part, everyone understands. In the long run, I just hope the sacrifice is worth it all.
-K
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Eh, shit happens. Sometimes, things just get in the way of our plans. He understands, I'm sure. After all, how many times has the military cancelled plans for you guys?
Hang in there, don't be too hard on yourself!
Post a Comment