Monday, January 6, 2014

Much To My Surprise

I was 150% confident that TheBaby (known in our house as Le Bebe) is a girl.  I felt it from day one.  I also deeply wanted it from day one.  On my side of the family, we only have boys.  I figured this would finally be my mom's first granddaughter.  I envisioned the nursery of gray and pink accents with monogrammed/preppy everything.  She would be a mini-me.

Alas, TheBaby is actually a boy.

We found out on Friday when TheHubs was present for his first ultrasound (which was beyond wonderful to finally share that experience with him.)

Full Disclosure:  TheBaby is happy and healthy and of course that is ALL that matters.

However, when the ultrasound tech said "boy," I cried.  I teared up throughout most of the appt.  My preppy little girl dreams gone.  But as we told all our family and friends, so many were of great comfort.  Turns out, I'm not alone.  Most of my close friends cried when they found out their babies were boys. I guess it's something that we can relate to easier, having a girl than a boy.  In fact, my college roommate who is now Dr. Roommate said its an actual diagnosis - to be sad with your child's gender.

I am soooo glad that we found out now.  I couldn't imagine going 9 months thinking he was a she!

As the weekend wore on, I'm getting over it and looking forward to meeting Mini-TheHubs.  TheHubs has been beyond amazing about the whole thing.  He gets that I'm upset and is soo unbelievably supportive.  He painted like it was his J-O-B and even braved the cold to get us chips and salsa.

One of my biggest fears of pregnancy is raising an upstanding citizen; not just by-stander but a world changer.  TheBaby is half TheHubs and thus I realized this weekend that we're all going to be in amazing hands.

-K




3 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

OMG I have lots of friends who had the exact same reaction to their boys (and what's funny is ALL of my friends have boys...even though we are all so girly). I even had it when Bestie Florida was prego with my Godson. But it turns out, little boys are seriously as sweet as they come. And they make so many more clothes for them now than they did years ago. And...I'll never say who but I have more than one friend who dressed her baby boy up in a dress when her hub wasn't home just to see what he would look like as a girl. Ha.

You are going to be a fabulous momma- to boy or girl. So excited for you!

KK

MCW said...

A little boy is amazing...just think what a great bog brother he would be to a little sister :)

Congrats!

Kristen said...

What a sweet post. I'm sorry Le Bebe isn't a girl, but I think you're going to be an amazing mom either way. You know what's funny, though, is I think I'd have the opposite reaction! I was never super girly (I was a total Tomboy growing up), so I have no idea how I'd raise a girl.

Congrats again! And hello, where are the pictures of your little bump??? ;)