Thursday, December 13, 2012

Real or Fake?

Ahh, the quintessential Christmas debate - real or fake tree?

In our house, the answer is and always will be fake.  For so many reasons:

1) I grew up with a fake tree and know nothing different.  TheHubs grew up with both and is indifferent.
2) We/I have yet to spend Christmas at home.  Every year, we are either away working or visiting family and gone for at least a week.  I'm too afraid of what we would come home to.
3) Miss Barkley. Once she figures out that the needles are edible AND there is water at the bottom of the stand, all bets would be off.
and lastly, my most important reason...
4) THE MESS!  Sweet Moses, the mess!

My dear friend Mr. Dee emailed me yesterday - "Can you stop by my house and water the tree?  It keeps drying up and I'm afraid of what I'll come home to."  Since we love Mr. Dee to pieces and lives less than 10 min away on a bad traffic day, I popped over to water the tree.  Holy mess, Batman!  There were needles literally all over the place!  And Mr. Dee is a very neat guy.  After bending down to water it, I then had needles all over me and all over the water bottle.  Agh, no way Jose.  That solidified it for me.  No real tree.  It's not worth the mess and the aggravation.  But I do completely see how the smell and the process of finding your perfect tree bring the holidays home.  To each their own right?

Here's a snippet of our tree, with a few new ornaments from this year's travels and events (D.C., London, old city, new house.)    Instead of buying t-shirts and nick-knacks, we buy an ornament.  I love unwrapping them each year and taking a stroll down memory lane.  Last year I even found a Marine Corps Marathon ornament for TheHubs - much better than a XXL t-shirt that never gets worn!



So what is your preference?  "They're real and spectacular" or "Fake out!"
-K

4 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I grew up with real- which is strange considering I am from South FL. And even in college in an apt, I insisted on buying a real tree for our apt. But have had fake the last seven years. If I ever have a house big enough, I'd love one of each. Because I do love the smell and feel of a real tree. But gosh it's easy to just use the fake one from the basement each year too.

Tonights post is my Keebler story...

KK

Kristen said...

I have never had a real tree, and I want one so badly! My mom is allergic to pine, so that was out when I was little. But, my husband has had a real one almost every year (he's from Oregon), so he doesn't want to deal with a real one this year. Boo...

Amanda said...

I've always had real trees so I'm partial to them! As a child my family would go to a tree farm, search, and cut down our tree. I can't wait to do that again! We got a real tree the 1st year we were in Italy, and I discovered I'm allergic to them! If I touched it I would immediately get an itchy rash. :( So we bought a fake tree last lear. I can't wait to get back to the states so I can have a real tree again! I love that you collect ornaments from your travels! We do that too!

Laura Darling said...

My parents always get a real tree, but I live on my own in a small apartment and I have a fake one. It's so much easier, and I think it looks nice! There is something about the smell of a real tree though, and I do think they look a little nicer - they're so full! But fake works just fine for me!